Wednesday, February 15, 2012

CLE Kids in San Franny


Bansky street art in Chinatown

Lemon trees, yes please!

Over the weekend, 2 CLE kids were transplanted to the lovely city of San Franny! The bf and I had wild weekend tour of the amazing city and celebrated not only our 3 year anniversary, but also my cousin's engagement, and my other cousin's birthday. Action packed weekend for sure! I could make an entire photo journal but I will try to share only the top reasons of why most Clevelander's would love San Fran too!

1. The mammoths: Muir Woods

I've always wanted to see the redwoods in real life, and I am happy to check this off my bucket list. It's truly breathtaking and diffucult to comprehend these monstrocities without experiencing them in person. Fun facts: these coastal redwoods stack up to 350 ft. or more and can age over 2,000 years old! With coastal redwoods dating back to the time of dinosaurs, it surely brings you back down to earth on the grand scale of life!

2. The libations: Sonoma wine country & local watering holes
We've established that I am a vino fan, so of course we had to visit wine country! The beauty was again stunning as the wild mustard bloomed across the vineyards. My favorite was Jacuzzi Winery (yes, the family is well versed in hot tubs AND wine! Winning!). The wine was great, architecture was classic, and the olive oil freshly pressed! Italian girl heaven!


Wine country was wonderful, but I must also credit the local watering holes for some excellent spice of life! The bf and I found this place on a total whim that truly was a clash of cultures that worked perfectly! Coming from Cleveland, which certainly has an interesting amalgamation of cultures, curiosity led us to Kennedy's Irish Pub and Indian Curry House Restaurant (and yes this is all housed in one building!) They served great local craft brews and we had some good company we encountered too!

Check out all those good beers on tap!

Our new friends!

 3. The historical architecture: the Ferry Building, Golden Gate Bridge
Buildings with long-standing historical character have always fascinated me, and that's one reason why I love Cleveland, and another reason why I was drawn to San Francisco. We visited the Ferry Building, which had tons of shops and local foods (although West Side Market will forever be #1 in my heart). The building was beautiful, and withstood quite a history from its original 1898 opening.


This is a real picture I took of the Golden Gate Bridge! The rain had just cleared and the lingering purple clouds against the infamous international orange colored bridge turned out great! (Why isn't the Golden Gate Bridge painted gold...)

4. The food: Mr & Mrs Miscellaneous Ice Cream & Piccino's

Mr & Mrs Miscellaneous was in the neighborhood where we stayed with my cousin. This ice cream shop had such unique and delicious ingredients! I had the Brown Butter Sage with a waffle cone- out of this world good!

 

On our last night in the city we went to the adorable little restaurant called Piccino. I had baked semolina gnocchi, poached egg, root vegetable caponata, olive and dried plum. It was literally melt in your mouth good...wow!


5. Good people: Good family
And last, but certainly not least, I loved San Fran because of my family! My two cousins and aunt live there and they were outstanding hosts. I look up to my older cousins and they definitely know how to have a good time and good laugh. They have never forgotten their Cleveland roots and yet have successfully chased after their dreams. As previously mentioned, my cousins are a total riot, and with contagious spirits like theirs, it is difficult to be in a bad mood around them. Not only my family, but the people of San Fran generally were friendly and hospitable. (Maybe they got the memo that Midwest Morals are cool!)  Despite the bustling city and large population, we often found sleepy Sunday morning style neighborhoods, and runners and bikers enjoying life as they conquered the rollercoaster hills that stretched up and down the city. 
  
 
My soon to be cousin-in-law, Steph and soon to be dog-in-law, Bentley


Shahrad & Steph-such great hosts!


Birthday man, Shahram and newly engaged Shahrad
 
Celebrating at Piccino: Shahrad, Steph, Wanda, Shahram, Jordan, me, Auntie Barb-
a wide variety of cultures and characters!
 Overall, we absolutely loved the city, the natural beauty, the social scene, history, food, and good people.  There is so much more that we experienced in the city-but I'll have to tell you more later, possibly over a glass of vino. I'd undoubtedly go back to visit and look forward to seeing my awesome family again!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic trip! I love San Fran!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure was. And must thank you for the great recommendation of the InterContinental & Top of the Mark! Chocolate covered strawberries & champagne? Any time! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Sounds like a fabulous trip. San Fran is one of my all time favorite cities - how lucky are they that Muir Woods AND Napa/Sonoma are SO close! *love*

    Crystal @EatDrinkClev

    ReplyDelete

Share your positive thoughts!